I decided— apparently, somewhat arrogantly —that I should have my own domain name. I own this blog, but thought how nice it would be for people to be able to access me by myname.com rather than myname.blogspot.com. I found out I could buy my very own domain name for $10 a year. Pretty cheap.
So I purchased the domain name scmorgan.com. (There is a long story as to why I can’t have sarahmorgan.com that involves an Englishwoman who writes bodice rippers.) Once the domain was purchased, I went about changing my scmorgan.blogspot address over to scmorgan.com. I got a message “another blog is hosted at this address.” Well, unless I’m totally nuts, that’s me!
I tried and tried without success Others helped and ran into the same issue. Then I began pawing around inside my new domain and found the Host Records. This area looked really serious so I closed the door. I read blogs about the difficulty, which is apparently not a rare occurrence. http://www.nitecruzr.net has an entire blog dedicated to Blogger and Google domain issues. There I found long discussions on the dreaded ERROR 404 message as well as the one I was dealing with.
I asked power posters for help and got some assistance there. With instruction, I went back into the bowels of the beast–– The Host Records–– found my blogspot address and, holding my breath, deleted it. Then, according to instructions, waited two days for the servers of the world to recognize me, and tried again to have blogspot take my new address. Now it says: SERVER CANNOT BE FOUND.
So, I’m making headway of a sort I guess. But I have spent days on end twiddling with this irritating little task. Not writing my blog.
Not writing, period.